Wax up, start the face slapping, get the adrenalin running – the clock is ticking for the first pointscore of the new season on 2-3 February!
As history knows, the Reef waits for no one, so the race for the full range of Shoes World Titles gets cracking come hell or high water. The alternative date if the swell is not running is 16-17.
The first event has its own magic, with bookmakers checking the results before they set the odds for who will finish 2013 as Kings and Queens…bearing in mind that the defending champs will not be giving up their crowns without a fight.
Those Champs are Jesse Horner (Open), Nathan Hatheier (Juniors), Travis Heaps (SuperGroms) and Pete Rackemann (Over 40s).
The Annual General Meeting, held on 19 January, agreed that the rules applying in 2012 will remain for the new season.
Other outcomes of the AGM were:
- The Club is financially stable**
- The Club will be registered with Surfing NSW and have full liability cover
- There will be new Club stickers ordered
- Membership fees will remain the same – $50 Open and $30 for Juniors and SuperGroms
- Long sleeved T-shirts will be ordered
- The Executive and members formally thanked Club Patron Sponsor Dr John Murray
- The Executive and members formally thanked Club Sponsors – Only Organic, Northies, Lipmann, Tengirri Surf Charters, WJ Partners, PCC Surfboards, Belle Property, STC, Cronulla Surf Design, Gando Signs, Hot Yogi Australia, Leo Payne the Sausage King
- New banners will be organised
- Venue of the Club Presentation to remain South Cronulla Bowling Club
- Championship trophies to be upgraded
- The Top 3 in the Over 40s will all receive trophies
- The Club will introduce mandatory Risk Management for all of its events
- The annual Ron Inman Memorial Showdown will only be open to paid-up members
- There will be sun screen and a First Aid kit on deck at each event
- Officials – including President, Vice-Presidents, Secretary, Committee Members, Contest Manager and Deputy Contest Manager – from season 2012 were unanimously re-endorsed for 2013
Don’t forget, surf conditions are checked around 7am and if the event is go, then competition kicks-off from around 7.30am.
New members are welcomed, so feel free to encourage family members, friends and colleagues to join.
The full contest calendar for 2013 will be posted on the website once Secretary John Hvass has received sign-off from Sutherland Shire Council.
** The Club’s Income and Expenditure Statement and Assets and Liabilities Statement are both available to members on request