Sandshoes Boardriders has signed on as a partner of CSAW (Cronulla Surfers Against Waste).
It’s an organisation established by the Cronulla surfing fraternity to promote awareness – and benefits – of the importance to reduce waste in our community and ultimately ensure our area remains beautiful.
The group’s key message:
As surfers, we use the natural environment to provide us with the platform to enjoy what we love doing, whether it be surfing, swimming, playing with our kids in the park or simply relaxing around our coastline and in turn have an obligation to protect this environment.
The request is that everyone uses a commonsense approach to keeping our local environment clean. Some simple ways in which everyone can help include:
- If you see rubbish, pick it up and put it in the bin, it seems an obvious one but it is surprising how often people simply walk past a bottle or a chip packet and pretend they did not see it.
- Set an example, grommets and visitors will take notice if you respect your beach and make an effort to clean up.
- Re-using water bottles or use a refillable drink bottle.
- Use recycling bins provided by council.
- Re-use plastic bags, or better still, do not use them in the first place. Whenever possible, say “no thanks” to shopkeepers when you are offered plastic bags at shops. Simply carry your goods or carry a re-useable bag.
- Be vigilant, if you see someone dumping waste, report it immediately to the police.
- Remember anything that goes down the drain inevitably ends up at our beach or in our waterways so dispose of waste responsibly at all times.
Go to the website to see what the new group is all about: www.csaw.org.au