The best performing surfers in season 2017 have been announced and lauded at the Club’s Gala Presentation Night.
In the 45th season of competition at the Reef That Rules, the crowns across all four divisions were awarded to noisy acclaim.
While there were only six world title events held in the season due to poor weather and swell, it was agreed that the level of performances across all divisions were excellent.
- The Open Title went to Matty Cook
- The Over 40s Title went to Brett Daintry
- The Junior Title went to Blake Sawtell
- The Grommets Title went to Jarvis Earle
- The Service to Club Award was presented to Carol Gillespie for her sustained work as Secretary Manager
- The Ron Inman Memorial Award (sponsored by PCC Surfboards) went to grommet member Oscar Hickey
- The Club’s newest Life Member is photographer and Shoes legend Ian Macca McDonald.
- The Honour Award in the name of the Club’s Patron for Life, the late and great John Murray, was presented by Karan Murray to John Bonello – as chosen by Charlie Chegwidden.
- Leah Maclean was acclaimed for her management of the Club’s website
The Club’s second straight victory in the Battle of the Reefs was heralded as a major achievement for the club.
The all to-soon passing of Shoes Alumni Phil Mulder, was acknowledged as the most emotional of season 17.
Life Member Mel Hatheier, was singled out for mention for her cool and astute handling of a great white shark that some how found its way into the Shelly Beach ocean pool.
The Club’s chief sponsors were heralded for their fantastic financial and product provision:
Tengirri Surf Charters
Surf Trading Company
Club President Sid Cassidy said the support of family members of Shoes contest riders was the best ever, with parents, uncles, aunties and grand parents showing up in droves for every contest.
The inputs of the Club’s Committee Members in season 17 – Reno Gillespie, Greg Ferrow, John Bonello and Guy Turner – made a real difference to the club’s contest operations, as did the timer and hooter machine donated by Brett Daintry.
Big congratulations to the following surfers:
OPEN TOP SIX: Matty Cook, Jasmyn Turner, Tom Mulder, Tom Lotter, Rich Brown, Daniel Cook
OVER 40s TOP SIX: Brett Daintry, Guy Turner, John Bonello, Chris Durante, Steve Cryer, Greg Ferrow
JUNIORS TOP SIX: Blake Sawtell, Luke Wedesweiler, Nathan, Charlie Chegwidden, Koby Napper, Toby Graham
GROMMETS TOP SIX: Jarvis Earle, Sam Cornock, Harry Fisher, Jetson Kuch, Fin Moore, Luke Durante, Evie Fisher
The Club’s Annual General Meeting will be held at the South Cronulla Bowling Club in mid- January (date to be determined).
The 2018 World Championship Season will start in early February (date to be determined).